The following are some short testimonials/case studies written for me by my clients: (I will be adding to these whenever I find a spare moment to post them!)
I have been wearing pinhole glasses for reading for about 14 years, and have had a lot of Bates lessons in the past with other teachers overseas. I have Presbyopia. I had a wide vision test at the opticians in September 2017 and some pigment dispersion was found in my right eye. My older brother and sister both have high pressure (glaucoma related) in both eyes, and use drops daily.
As apparently this pigment dispersion in my right eye could potentially develop into glaucoma, I decided that I wanted to do something to help my eyes, so I started having Bates Method lessons with Charlotte Schuman in November 2017. From the start, I found them extremely helpful and totally fascinating.
I have recently been to the opticians again in late 2018, and the pigment dispersal is no longer there, and I no longer need to wear pinhole glasses whilst reading, even in dull light. The clarity of my vision can be amazing – so sharp and clear!
I began learning the Alexander Technique in 1995 and completed my three years training teacher in 2000. Since then I have worked as an Alexander Technique teacher, seeing many clients presenting with a wide range of problems. Through my training and my work, I have developed an acute awareness of my body and any changes which happen.
When I think about my vision doing the Bates Method techniques, I notice changes in my body, for example:
- When I think about peripheral vision, the muscles at the back of my neck free up, and there can be a slight (positive) adjustment in how my head balances on top of my spine.
- When I am walking in the countryside, I notice everything passing by me with my peripheral vision, and similar positive changes happen within my body.
- When I do swinging from side to side, a similar thing will happen and my back will lengthen.
- In my last lesson, the reading exercises we covered were amazing. Just by following the technique instructions, my body changed. My neck freed, my head went forward and up, my back lengthened and widened as did my shoulders, I felt more grounded and present, with a greater sense of well-being and peace.
- The other reading techniques we covered also cause these changes every time I do them. My reading is of course also much improved!
- All these changes are recognised positive postural shifts which are generally achieved with the Alexander Technique. They help co-ordinate the head, neck and back, which is called the “Primary Control” in the Technique.
So, in summary, I have noticed that when I start paying attention to my vision, the use of my body improves.
This also means that when I am working as an Alexander teacher, my vision is better, and my overall use of my whole body is better, and my teaching improves.
I certainly find the Bates Method very beneficial, and I will definitely continue to use it. It has changed everything for me.
I am an 80 year old retiree, and I came to Charlotte for Skype lessons to improve my longsightedness (+8), and also to see if the Bates Method could help my left eye, which has Macular Degeneration.
When I started the lessons, I had a large hole of no vision at all, in the centre of my left eye. After just two lessons though, doing a selection of Bates techniques and making a few changes to my diet at Charlotte’s suggestion, the hole in my vision changed! I now have some vision in the hole. It’s fragmented, and it’s as if I’m seeing through a sponge, with lots of tiny holes, but it’s a big improvement, on how it was, when I saw nothing at all in this area of my visual field. I’ve been so pleased, that I keep checking my vision to make sure I’m not dreaming!
I’m really looking forward to seeing where the next lessons lead – hopefully to even better vision in that left eye…very excited!
Not wanting to go into glasses for reading and distance, I decided to look for a natural solution to improve my eyesight, to allow my eyes to heal, as I thought that might well be possible.
After a series of lessons with Charlotte, in which she set up a daily practice for me, I have now fortunately recovered better than 20/20 vision, my near vision has also improved and my appreciation of colours shapes and sizes is enhanced. I have to thank Charlotte for this, as it’s made a big difference.
More to follow soon…